When gasoline prices as high as they are, it is surprising that more drivers don’t work a little harder to stretch their gas mileage. Here are 10 tips that can make a genuine difference in the mileage that you get from your car or truck. Perform them and save a bundle.
- Check Your Air FilterStudies have found that nearly one in every four cars on the road needs an air filter replacement. Dirty air filters can reduce a cars gas mileage by 10%.
- Keep Your Car Tuned UpWhen was your last tune up? A properly maintained engine tuned to the manufacturer’s specifications can improve mileage by up to 8%.
- Check Your Tire AlignmentPoor alignment not only causes tires to wear out more quickly, but also forces your engine to work harder. Align your car’s tires and save up to 10%.
- Tighten Your Gas CapBelieve it or not, a loose gas cap can cost you money due to evaporation of gasoline from your tank. According to one report, this could rob you of 30 gallons of gas a year!
- Keep Your Tires InflatedMore than one-quarter of vehicles are driving on deflated tires. The average under-inflation of 7.5 pounds causes a loss of 3% in fuel efficiency.
- Slow DownFor every 5 mph you reduce highway speed, you can reduce fuel consumption by 7%. This is especially true for vehicles that have large, frontal surfaces such as vans and trucks.
- Drive SmoothlyAvoid jack-rabbit starts and you will improve your fuel economy. In particular, feathering the gas pedal when you leave stop signs and lights can save you up to 10% mileage.
- Don’t IdleBesides causing air pollution, idling wastes gas. If stopped for more than 30 seconds, turn off the engine, and, unless it is very cold out, don’t bother to “warm up” your car before driving.
- Lowest Octane GasDon’t use a higher octane gas than what your car requires. Higher octane gas is only required for higher compression engines. For most cars it simply isn’t necessary.
- Combine Errands Into One TripIt’s amazing how few drivers do this. It is possible to save a great deal of money by simply combining errands into a small number of trips. Try it and reap the savings!
Related Article: Crosstown Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram